Jacobs & Dow, LLC

Call (203) 772-3100 or (866) 221-1375 To Arrange A Consultation

Jacobs & Dow, LLC

Decades Of Experience
In Personal Injury, Criminal Law And Other Legal Matters

Are funeral expenses recoverable for Connecticut wrongful death?

On Behalf of | Aug 6, 2015 | Fatal Motor Vehicle Accidents, Firm News

A fatal car accident in New Haven can leave those who are grieving over the loss of a loved one with difficult decisions to make about the accident. When a person is killed or injured as the result of the negligence of another, Connecticut laws allow the accident victim or, in cases in which the victim was killed, the representative of the victim’s estate to file a claim for compensation.

Wrongful death claims may be filed by the executor or by the administrator of an accident victim’s estate. Members of the grieving family are not authorized under state law to file the lawsuit seeking damages caused by the death of the accident victim.

Lawsuits filed because of a fatal trucking accident, a fatal motorcycle accident and a fatal car accident are unlike other personal injury lawsuits filed following an accident. Damages in most lawsuits against a negligent driver usually seek damages to compensate the accident victim.

Wrongful death damages are paid to the estate of the deceased and may include compensation for things such as:

  • Funeral expenses
  • Medical expenses
  • Pain and suffering endured by the victim prior to death
  • Costs of hospital and nursing services

Damages recoverable in a fatal car accident that are paid the estate are ultimately distributed in accordance with the will left by the deceased victim. If the victim died without leaving a will, the estate would be distributed according to state law.

Making decisions about what to do following the wrongful death of a loved one can be difficult. As helpful as the information contained in this posting might be, it is just an overview of the topic. Legal advice regarding the rights of those experiencing the sudden loss of companionship of a family member should only be obtained from an attorney.


FindLaw Network