We Pursue Maximum Compensation After A Serious Surgical Injury
The patient anesthetized on the operating table places his life in the hands of the surgical team. The surgeon is held to a standard of reasonable care. That standard begins long before the surgery and requires the surgeon to make a correct diagnosis of a surgical condition, to recommend appropriate surgery or to recommend against surgery, to disclose risks and benefits fairly to the patient, and to take reasonable steps to minimize the risk of invasive procedures. When the patient is on the operating table, the standard of care requires the surgeon and his team to perform the proper procedure, to perform it correctly, to avoid unintended injury to adjacent organs and tissues, and to discover and repair any incidental damage that may occur during the surgery. Surgical errors often result when doctors fail to follow proper procedure or when attending staff act negligently in monitoring a patient’s vital signs or when assisting the surgeon.
At the law office of Jacobs & Dow, LLC, our medical malpractice attorneys subpoena diagnostic imaging including intra-operative films, video from the operating room, medical records, and technical data from equipment used to perform the procedure and monitor vital signs in order to expose negligence and mistakes on the part of surgeons and medical professionals. Working with established medical experts, we work hard to reconstruct what happened, when it happened, identify what went wrong and how it could have been avoided. Our attorneys also consult experienced medical economists and life care planners when assessing the financial impact of a surgical error. We demand fair compensation that addresses your current and future financial needs created by your injuries.
To schedule a free consultation to discuss your surgical error malpractice case and how we can help you, contact the surgical error attorneys at Jacobs & Dow today.
Injuries that Result from Surgical Errors
Our office represents clients in medical malpractice cases involving the following kinds of surgical errors and injuries:
- Removal of the wrong organ
- Surgery on the wrong body part (wrong-site surgery)
- Surgical instruments or sponges left in a patient’s body
- Disfigurement due to plastic surgery error
- Unnecessary operation, re-operation or “revision surgery”
- Untreated wound infection
- Defective or improperly installed knee or hip prosthesis during knee replacement or hip surgery
- Anesthesia or anesthetic errors
- Infections caused by unsanitary conditions or inadequate infection control measures
- Undiagnosed perforated bowel
- Peritonitis and infection caused by bowel perforation during colonoscopy or other surgery
- Undiagnosed internal bleeding
- Severed common bile duct
- Bariatric weight loss surgery errors and complications
- Unintended puncture caused by laparoscope or trocar
- Birth injuries, including shoulder dystocia
- Failure to properly monitor vital signs
- Unexplained major complication
- Severed nerve injury
- Other injuries caused by surgical mistakes and operating room negligence
Contact Surgical Error Attorneys Today
Don’t let a doctor or hospital tell you the injuries you sustained during surgery were not the result of negligence. Since you were put under during your procedure, what you were told may be quite different from what actually happened. Our attorneys have the investigative resources and experience needed to uncover and expose surgeon errors and negligence in the operating room.
To speak with an experienced surgical malpractice lawyer, contact Jacobs & Dow today and schedule an appointment to discuss your case.