Jacobs & Dow, LLC

Call (866) 221-1375 or 203-772-3100 To Arrange A Consultation

Jacobs & Dow, LLC


Decades Of Experience
In Personal Injury, Criminal Law And Other Legal Matters

Filing a claim after a car accident

On Behalf of | Apr 20, 2015 | Car Accidents, Firm News

Many people who are injured in car accidents in Connecticut are unsure what to do when the other driver is at fault. By gaining an understanding of what to do after a car accident ahead of time, a person may be better prepared to seek compensation after they are involved in a crash.

When a person is injured because of the actions of another driver, the injured victim must file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance provider. The non-liable party should also report the accident to their own insurance provider just in case the other party’s insurer refuses to pay for the accident. When making the report, the injured victim should only relay the facts about the accident, as the insurer will determine who is at fault by assessing the police report and other evidence.

Before a car accident victim can claim damages from the liable party’s insurance provider, they must have information about the other driver’s insurance policy. That’s why it’s important to write down the other driver’s name, address and insurance information after an accident. If a victim is able to do so, taking photographs of the accident scene and gathering the contact information of witnesses may help to strengthen their claim.

In the best-case scenario, the insurer of the driver at fault in a car accident will pay for all of the victim’s medical expenses and property damage. However, there are many cases of car collisions where the liable party’s insurer refuses to admit that the driver was at fault and denies a victim’s claim. A car accident victim who has been denied compensation for their injuries might want to seek help from an attorney.


FindLaw Network